This classic apple pie is always at the top of any fall baking season, the rich Caramel brings out the sweetness of apples and makes it a must for any age. Serve it perfectly with a cup of coffee and a giant scoop of any of your favourite vanilla ice cream.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST
- 3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp. ice water (or more, if needed)
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 1/2 lb. assorted apples (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala) cored, peeled, and thinly sliced (about 7 apples)
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup caramel, plus more for serving
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water (egg wash)
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Ice cream, for serving
- Make crust: Place flour and butter into the freezer for 30 minutes before starting the crust process.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until pea-sized and some slightly larger pieces form. Add vinegar and ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together and is moist but not wet and sticky (test by squeezing some with your fingers). Mixture will be crumbly.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, form into 2 equal size balls, and flatten into disks (making sure there are no/minimal cracks).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is very cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400° with a large baking sheet on the middle rack.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Cook until liquid has thickened and apples are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool while rolling out dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of dough into a 12” circle. Transfer crust to a 9” pie plate and gently press to fit. Trim edge to a 1” overhang, then tuck under itself and crimp edges. Layer apples on top of crust, then pour caramel over apples.
- Roll out a second disc of dough into a 12” circle. Cut into 10 strips. Lay 4 strips over the apples. Fold back the first and third strip and place a fifth slice over apples in the opposite direction and lay folded-back slices over the fifth slice. Fold back the second and fourth strip and repeat lattice top with remaining crust. Trim strips and press into crimped crust. Freeze for 15 minutes or until the crust is well chilled.
- Brush chilled crust with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place the pie plate onto a preheated baking sheet and bake until the crust is very golden and the filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. If the crust starts to darken too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Let cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve topped with more caramel and ice cream, if desired.